Selena Gomez Will Perform in North Carolina, Donate Proceeds to Local LGBT

Music Is EVERYTHING YOU NEED

Selena Gomez performs at The Prudential Center on June 2, 2016 in Newark, New Jersey.  
BRIAN KILLIAN/GETTY IMAGES

"I am very fortunate to have grown up in a home where I learned from an early age that everyone should be treated equally," Gomez says in a statement to Billboard.

Selena Gomez will donate proceeds from her upcoming North Carolina concert to charity, and says she hopes "there will be a day soon when laws like HB2 won't be a consideration." 
The Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act (HB2) law -- often referred to as the "bathroom bill" -- is widely perceived as being anti-LGBT. It requires that transgender people only use bathrooms that correspond with their sex at birth.
"I am very fortunate to have grown up in a home where I learned from an early age that everyone should be treated equally," Gomez says in a statement, ahead of her June 7 concert at Charlotte, North Carolina's Time Warner Cable Arena. "I went back and forth on whether I should cancel my concert in North Carolina and ultimately I think what is right for me is to move forward with my show and donate a portion of the proceeds to Equality North Carolina and their effort to defeat this act of discrimination. I’ve been reassured the venue I will be performing in has gender neutral bathrooms as I want everyone coming to my show to be welcomed. I feel like my generation is the most progressive one yet and believe there will be a day soon when laws like HB2 won’t even be a consideration."
Gomez's Revival Tour launched in Las Vegas on May 6 and continues through December with dates scheduled in North America, Europe and Asia. Proceeds from each ticket sold to the tour will benefit the Alliance for Lupus Research, a national voluntary health organization whose mission is to find better treatments and ultimately prevent lupus.
The pop princess' latest single, "Kill Em With Kindness," rose 22-19 on the Pop Songsairplay chart dated June 11, and follows three No. 1 hits from the Revival album: "Good for You," "Same Old Love" and "Hands to Myself."


Comments

Popular Posts